S-separators are based on Alcap technology, which means they automatically adjust the oil/water interphase based on the water content in the clean oil outlet. This makes them particularly suitable for separating heavy fuel oils with varying density, though they can be used to clean all of the following:
- Heavy fuel oils with densities up to 1010 kg/m3 and viscosities up to 700 cSt/50°C (higher viscosities upon request)
- Lubricating oils
- Lighter diesel oils
S-separators are designed for automatic operation in periodically unmanned engine rooms at sea and in automated power stations ashore.
Scope of supply
The S and P Flex separation concept provides a wide range of alternatives for S-separators. Depending on the need, an S-separator can be supplied as a separator and ancillaries, as a customer-specified module, or as part of a comprehensive package including services and orderspecific documentation.
An S-separator with ancillaries in the form of optimized block components provides full say over the use of space. This allows for local modularization or do-it-yourself assembly.
A compact S-separator module can be built to a customer-specified configuration from a wide range of modular skids and machine blocks. Multi-modules are possible, as well as mixed modules including one or more S-separators and/or P-separators for the simultaneous treatment of different types of mineral oils. All Flex modules are factory tested to ensure faster start-up and commissioning.
Single flex module with separator (excluding heater and pump)
Single flex module with separator, heater and pump
Quadruple flex module with separators, heaters and pumps
Features and benefits
- Small footprint, high flexibility
- The small separator and the modular nature of the surrounding components allow easy installation and flexible positioning in the engine room.
- Alcap technology
- A water transducer in the clean oil outlet automatically adjusts the oil/ water interphase to maximize separation performance.
- High separation efficiency
- An optimized design ensures the best possible separation efficiency from the bowl and disc stack.
- The CentriShoot discharge system greatly reduces sludge volumes. Its fixed discharge side flexes gently to expose the discharge ports, thereby eliminating metalto- metal wear.
- The CentriLock bowl-locking system uses a lightweight, non-threaded snap ring. This prevents wear by allowing easy removal without a sledgehammer.
- Long service intervals
- Wear-preventing features like CentriShoot and CentriLock reduce the consumption of spare parts and allow planned maintenance to be performed less often. This reduces operating costs.
- Easy operation and service
- The new EPC 60 controller is designed for "one-button" starts and stops, as well as intuitive menu navigation. Information about parameters and alarms can be easily accessed, which simplifies both operation and troubleshooting. The EPC 60 also has a modular construction that enables faster troubleshooting and I/O board replacement.
- Remote control and monitoring
- Using Ethernet or Bus communication, Flex systems and modules based on S-separators can be operated and supervised remotely from the control room. A variety of alarm functions are available as standard, and extra I/O boards can be added to the EPC 60 controller in order to enhance its operating and monitoring capabilities.
Flex separation systems based on S-separators can be complemented with the following equipment:
- Starter (included in module versions)
- Space heating
- Additional thermometers
- Vibration sensor kit
- Feed pump
- Supplied loose
- Mounted on a separate skid
- Incorporated into a module
- As a pump module (multiple pump skids mounted together)
- Flow regulating system
- Sludge removal kit
- Sludge outlet butterfly valve kit
- Steam shut-off valve kit
- Air pressure reducer valve
- Pipe arrangement for multiple modules, including heater cross-connection
- Emergency safety shutdown
- Remote monitoring and control
- Separator lifting tool
Feed pump options
- Feed pump
- Temperature transmitter
- Safety valve
- Change-over valve
- Process controller
- Pressure transmitter - oil
- Water transducer
- Regulating valve - oil
- Pneumatic shut-off valve
- Valve block water
- Pressure transmitter - water
- Drain valve
- Sludge removal kit
- Regulating valve
A Flex separation system based on an S-separator 921-987 is operated automatically by the EPC 60 controller.Untreated oil, heated to the correct temperature, is fed continuously to the separator, which is driven by an electric motor via a friction clutch and belt.
The separator bowl is fixed at the top of a spindle, which is supported by bearings and special composite springs. During operation, separated sludge and water accumulate at the bowl periphery and are intermittently discharged by the high-precision CentriShoot discharge system.
The separator’s operation is based on the Alcap principle, which means the separator automatically adjusts to the nature of the oil. No gravity disc is needed. A water transducer in the clean oil outlet measures capacitative resistance and signals changes to the EPC 60 controller.
Depending on the water content, the EPC 60 either opens the drain valve or expels the water through the bowl discharge ports during sludge discharge. A patented paring tube adapts itself to remove the water from the bowl while a paring disc pumps away the clean oil.
During normal operation, vital process parameters are monitored. These parameters, as well as alarms, are indicated by easy-to-understand text messages on the LCD display of the EPC 60 controller.
The EPC 60 controller provides many alarm functions, including alarms for low oil pressure, high sludge tank level (if the optional sludge removal kit is included) and power failure. Additional functions are available for a vibration alarm when the optional vibration sensor is fitted.
Separation Performance Standard (SPS)
The flow rates on the back of this leaflet show the maximum recommended capacities for S-separators. Alternatively, Alfa Laval can supply S-separators inaccordance with the marine Separation Performance Standard, SPS (CWA 15375).
The aim of the SPS is to establish a separator’s ability to remove hard, abrasive particles from heavy fuel oils. Verified by classification societies, it provides a reliable method of evaluating and comparing the separation performance of different fuel oil separators.
|Actual catalytic fines and the spherical particles used to verify separation performance.|
Instead of a sliding bowl bottom, the CentriShoot discharge system features a fixed discharge slide that flexes at its edge. This increases discharge accuracy and does away with metal-to-metal wear.
Conventional lock rings are threaded and must be removed with a sledgehammer. Over time, the metal-to-metal wear between bowl and lock ring can lead to expensive bowl repair or replacement.
The CentriShoot discharge slide is fixed at the centre. During separation, the slide covers the discharge ports.
An Allen key is the only tool needed to work with CentriLock. No sledgehammer is necessary.
During sludge discharge, the edge of the slide flexes downward, exposing the discharge ports.
The CentriLock snap ring lifts out and snaps in easily - without any threads to wear.
Instead of a conventional lock ring, the CentriLock bowllocking system features a non-threaded snap ring. This lightweight ring snaps quickly into place and is easily removed with only an Allen key.
Preventive maintenance procedures are handled quickly and simply with the help of a compression tool. The snap ring of the patented CentriLock bowl-locking system is non-threaded and requires only an Allen key to remove.
- Maintenance intervals:
- Inspection Service every 4 000 h or 6 months
- Overhaul Service every 12 000 h or 18 months
- Service spares kits contain all necessary spare parts for each service and tips for maintenance in checkpoints:
- Inspection Kit with O-rings and seals for separator bowl
- Overhaul Kit with parts for drive system, belt, bearings and pads, also containing an Inspection Kit
- Support Kit with strategic spares for operation and maintenance backup
- The System Manual includes detailed information in electronic or printed form:
- Installation instructions
- Operating instructions
- Alarms and troubleshooting
- Service and spare parts
- Commissioning and technical services are available from all Alfa Laval offices, including startup assistance and advice on operation and maintenance
- Training in all aspects of oil treatment, freshwater generation and heat transfer is available
- All services can be incorporated into specially tailored Nonstop Performance packages. Details are available from local Alfa Laval offices
Max. Recommended Capacity, l/h HFO 380 cSt/50°C
|Main supply voltage||3-phase, 220 V up to 690 V|
|Control voltage||1-phase, 100/110/115/230 V|
|Frequency||50 or 60 Hz|
|Control air||Min 5 bar, max 8 bar|
|Operating water pressure||Min 2 bar, max 8 bar|
|Flex System||Size (height x width x length)*||Net Weight*|
|S 921/926/927||970 x 750 x 1075||391 kg|
|S 936/937||1059 x 850 x 1195||447 kg|
|S 946/947||1123 x 850 x 1195||525 kg|
|S 956/957||1291 x 1000 x 1325||728 kg|
|S 966/967||1405 x 1000 x 1325||893 kg|
|S 976/977||1526 x 1250 x 1525||1246 kg|
|S 986/987||1713 x 1250 x 1525||1632 kg|
* Dimensions and weights for Flex systems do not include control cabinet.
|Flex Module||Size (height x width x length)**||Net Weight**|
|S 921/926/927||1750 x 750 x 1075||505 kg|
|S 936/937||1750 x 850 x 1195||585 kg|
|S 946/947||1750 x 850 x 1195||660 kg|
|S 956/957||1766 x 1000 x 1325||935 kg|
|S 966/967||1766 x 1000 x 1325||1100 kg|
|S 976/977||1766 x 1250 x 1525||1490 kg|
|S 986/987||1766 x 1250 x 1525||1865 kg|
** Dimensions and weights for Flex modules do not include pump and heater.