P Separators 605/615
P-separators are based on purifier technology, which means that the oil/water interphase is manually adjusted by means of a gravity disc. Because the separators do not automatically adjust to varying oil density, they are most suitable for economical cleaning of the following:
- Lubricating oils
- Lighter diesel oils
If the oil is well defined and does not vary in density, P-separators can also be manually adjusted to clean heavy fuel oils with densities up to 991 kg/m3 and viscosities up to 600 cSt/50°C.
P-separators are designed for automatic operation in periodically unmanned engine rooms at sea and in automated power stations ashore.
Scope of supply
The S and P Flex separation concept provides a wide range of alternatives for P-separators. Depending on the need, a P-separator can be supplied as a separator and ancillaries, as a customer-specified module, or as part of a comprehensive package including services and order-specific documentation.
A P-separator with ancillaries in the form of optimized block components provides full say over the use of space. This allows for local modularization or do-it-yourself assembly.
A compact P-separator module can be built to a customer-specified configuration from a wide range of modular skids and machine blocks. Multi-modules are possible, as well as mixed modules including one or more S-separators and/or P-separators for the simultaneous treatment of different types of mineral oils. All Flex modules are factory tested to ensure faster start-up and commissioning.
Single flex module with separator (excluding heater and pump)
Single flex module with separator, heater and pump
Quadruple flex module with separators, heaters and pumps
Features and benefits
- Small footprint, high flexibility
- The small separator and the modular nature of the surrounding components allow easy installation and flexible positioning in the engine room.
- Simple installation
- No tank is needed to supply operating water and no pipe is needed to discharge it, which further simplifies installation.
- Separate feed pump
- A separate feed pump reduces pipework to and from the preheater.
- High separation efficiency An optimized design ensures the best possible separation efficiency from the bowl and disc stack.
- Low oil loss
- The separator's highly efficient displacement ensures that virtually no oil is lost.
- Efficient discharge
- Separated sludge and water are efficiently removed from the system.
- Easy operation and service
- The new PLC based EPC 60 controller is designed for "one-button" starts and stops, as well as intuitive menu navigation. Information about parameters and alarms can be easily accessed, which simplifies both operation and troubleshooting. The EPC 60 also has a modular construction that enables faster troubleshooting and I/O board replacement.
- Remote monitoring
- Using either Ethernet or Bus communication, Flex systems and modules based on P-separators 605/615 can be supervised remotely from the control room. A variety of alarm functions are available as standard, and extra I/O boards can be added to the EPC 60 controller in order to enhance its monitoring capabilities.
A Flex separation system based on a P-separator 605/615 is operated automatically by the EPC 60 controller, apart from the starting of the separator. Untreated oil, heated to the correct temperature, is fed continuously to the separator, which is driven by an electric motor via a friction clutch and belt.
The separator bowl is fixed at the top of a spindle, which is supported by bearings and special composite springs. This bowl can be arranged as a purifier or as a clarifier. Both configurations remove sludge, which accumulates at the bowl periphery and is intermittently discharged.
In a purifier configuration, both sludge and water are separated from the oil, which means that water is continuously discharged from the bowl. The EPC 60 controller automatically controls the admission of water for the water seal and the displacement of oil prior to sludge discharge, but a gravity disc is needed to establish the correct interphase position in the separator bowl, i.e. the boundary between the oil and the water seal. The size of the gravity disc must be matched to the oil's density, viscosity/temperature and feed rate to the separator.
In a clarifier configuration, a clarifier disc is fitted instead of a gravity disc. The water outlet is blocked, which means that the separator's water-handling capacity is limited and that water accumulates like sludge.
During normal operation, vital process parameters are monitored. These parameters, as well as alarms, are indicated by easy-to-understand text messages on the LCD display of the EPC 60 controller.
The EPC 60 controller provides many alarm functions, including alarms for low oil pressure, high sludge tank level (if the optional sludge removal kit is included) and power failure. Additional functions are available for a vibration alarm when the optional vibration switch is fitted.
Flex separation systems based on P-separators 605/615 can be complemented with the following equipment:
- Starter (included in module versions)
- Space heating
- Additional thermometers
- Vibration switch
- Feed pump (see feed pump delivery options below)
- Flow regulating system
- Sludge removal kit
- Sludge outlet butterfly valve kit
- Steam shut off valve kit
- Air pressure reducer valve
- Pipe arrangement for multiple modules, including heater cross connection
- Emergency safety shutdown
- Remote monitoring
Feed pump options
- Recommended maintenance intervals:
- Intermediate Service every 2 000 hours or 3 months
- Major Service every 8 000 hours or 12 months
- Service kits contain all necessary spare parts for each service and tips for maintenance at regular intervals:
- Intermediate Service Kit with O-rings and seals for separator bowl, inlet and outlet
- Major Service Kit with parts for drive system, belt, bearings and friction pads
- The System Manual includes detailed information in electronic or printed form:
- Installation instructions
- Operating instructions
- Alarms and troubleshooting
- Service and spare parts
- Commissioning and technical services, including startup assistance and advice on operation and maintenance, are available from all Alfa Laval offices
- Training in all aspects of oil treatment, freshwater generation and heat transfer is available
- All services can be incorporated into specially tailored Nonstop Performance packages. Details are available from local Alfa Laval offices
Max. Recommended Capacity, l/h on lubricating oils for trunk piston engines
|Main supply voltage||3-phase, 220 V up to 690 V|
|Control voltage||1-phase, 100/110/115/230 V|
|Frequency||50 or 60 Hz|
|Control air||Min 5 bar, max 8 bar|
|Operating water pressure||Min 2 bar, max 8 bar|
|Flex System||Size (height x width x length)*||Net Weight*|
|P 605||888 x 750 x 1035||278 kg|
|P 615||888 x 750 x 1035||285 kg|
* Dimensions and weights for Flex systems do not include control cabinet.
|Flex Module||Size (height x width x length)**||Net Weight**|
|P 605||1750 x 750 x 1075||425 kg|
|P 615||1750 x 750 x 1075||430 kg|
** Dimensions and weights for Flex modules do not include pump and heater.